Ferris Bueller. Now there’s a name that inspired a generation. How could you not love that troublemaking, parent-hornswoggling truant, who left his poor high school principal apoplectic with rage? I mean, c’mon, he had the most upbeat outlook on life since Deepak Chopra. One impish smile and he had you wrapped around his little finger, admit it.
Bueller is just one of many such quirky or endearing fictional characters from books and movies that have made us fall in love with them. Others that have stayed with me include:
- Michael Keaton as the title character in Beetlejuice
- John Cameron Mitchell as the title character in Hedwig and the Angry Inch
- Kevin Spacey as Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects
- Kathleen Turner as Matty Walker in Body Heat
- Pietro Brnwa in Beat the Reaper (by Josh Bazell)
- Amir and Hassan in The Kite Runner (by Khaled Hosseini) and
- Attila Ambrus (who’s not fictional at all, but larger than life nonetheless) in The Ballad of the Whiskey Robber (by Julian Rubenstein)
There are so many more I could name, time and space permitting, but I’ll stop there.
Who are some of your favorite characters?